Thursday, February 02, 2006

Fellow World-Travelers

Last weekend I visited my friend Kim who lives near Ramstein Air Force Base. She is so great about keeping up long-distance. What a terrific "treat" to see her & also Ken and Amy (who are now married). We were all singles in the same church together in Tampa. That is before we became world travelers.


Since then Kim has been to Okinawa & now Germany (she loves to travel somewhere about every month anyway!). And Ken & Amy had a baby (Mary--who is now 7!! -- isn't that an adventure in itself?!). They moved to North Carolina before Germany. How neat of God to bring us within 4 to 5 hours of one another on this side of the Big Pond!

The weekend was just special in many ways. One of which was going to Base Chapel in English last Sunday. Another was visiting the Commissary (and the BX & the furniture store, looking at mattresses of all things, because of my back surgery last year). Kim laughed at how "gleeful" I was over the aisles of American goods & groceries-- what a blast to find all that HERE. And be able to take some goodies back home in my car for myself & for my colleagues (versus take a FEW things back to Jena in a suitcase, 2 or 3 times a year when I visit the States). What kinds of things are a treat for me? For starters-- Oreos, cheddar cheese, Stonewheat Crackers, A&W rootbeer, Kraft Macaroni & Cheese, & chocolate chips.

I commented at how similar our lives are-- though we are in different professions, we travel for our job, doing something we feel called to by God. And something we pray & hope will make a big difference in the world. We also got to eat at Chili's on Sunday-- yahoo! -- "like no place else" it was a delicious taste of my other "home."

No comments: