Monday, February 13, 2006

English at FSU


I have really enjoyed teaching an English conversation & oral presentation course at Friedrich-Schiller University since 2001. Today I took a photo of my bright & dedicated class (a few are missing because of final exams that have already begun!). Being on campus in this capacity keeps me 'sharp' --in meeting new students, & in contributing to society in a way which most people in my community can appreciate!

One more thing-- teaching here has been a living example to me, yet again, that there are no 'wasted circumstances.' No accidents.

"God never wastes his men, or wastes experiences."


A quote from years before by my mom. This was when my brother Bruce was biking through south China & a young guy in his tour group, reacting to a malaria medication, died soon after in a hospital in Hawaii. Sometimes people, nice events or even tragedies we come across make us question: "why is this part of my life?" In college, I got a minor in bilingual education (Spanish & English), and then taught English for 2 years in my old high school. But thinking about moving to Germany, I figured it would just be to work in campus ministry. Little did I know... The Lord knew, however, that I'd be able to use this specialized piece of my training & degree again!

2 comments:

Susanne said...

What an encouraging word, Martha! Thanks for the reminder and I'm excited to see how He continues to suprise us with His goodness!

D C Bryant said...

martha you are so great! ah the class...brings up so many good memories. blessings on you in these final weeks leading up to Glorieta