Sunday, February 26, 2006

It's just different

I am preparing for tomorrow's planning meeting for the "vision trip" that I, along with a group of German students, will take to the States for 2 weeks in March. One thing we'll talk about is American customs. It reminded me, yet again, of the big & little things that are unique or different about our 2 countries.

Culture "adaptation" is a 3-step process. First, one must keenly observe similarities & differences. Second comes the hard part-- deciding what they mean AND deciding how to view them: some traditions, events or habits are not "bad" or "good"-- but just "different." Third, I must learn when to modify (or not!) my habits or learn a new preference.

And Yes, I DO believe in absolutes ... but here are examples of what I mean. The carton of eggs above-- comes in a package of 10 (not a dozen). Why is that? (& why do the States use 12?) The milk here comes in 1 liter cartons. In my first 2 months in Germany, when i had a bike with a cute basket on the front (but had no auto), I quickly discovered at least one reason why milk comes in smaller packages. A gallon bottle would fill most of your basket-- ahhh! Then you'd have to shop even more often. (It would fill your refrigerator here, too!)

On a weightier matter-- how does the liter figure into gas costs? If the auto uses 25 gallons--you need 94.6 liters to fill the tank. SO, at 1.10 Euro per liter (present cost IF you use diesel, which I do, which is cheaper!). Total at the tank = $124! Thankfully, my organization pays for much of my gas costs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just emailed you in response to your comment. Hopefully it helps a little but I unfortunately don't have any personal contacts in either department...