Tuesday, February 28, 2006

"Smart" car & inquisitive classroom

Since last May, 14 bright-orange Smart cars (a very tiny Mercedes) have traveled around Germany to share the Good News and advertise for an upcoming crusade. This outreach event will be held in mid-March in Munich & carried to dozens of cities by satellite.

This week the cars are in Jena, visiting the hospital & shopping areas, a soup kitchen & the downtown. Today I accompanied Stefan, a student leader, as he was sharing his faith with a 6th grade class on "ethics" (one either takes religion or ethics in school). They are studying Christianity at the moment. The amazing thing is that we- Stefan, another student Sebastian, and I - were given a really open-minded class (a few are pictured below). They asked all kinds of questions for over an hour. When I asked them what THEY believed, the consensus seemed to be reflected by: "I don't believe in God, but like most kids, I pray when I'm in a tight spot." And, "It would be nice to believe in something, like even a higher power; but it doesn't seem logical." "I'm afraid of death & really wish I had something to reassure me."

An extra surprise --Stefan called today before the school visit: "Martha, can i pick you up earlier? The Jena TV channel wants an interview!" (see camera interviewer, right). All 3 of us were on this all-news channel. It was to be repeated each hour, through the night. Cool, huh?

2 comments:

Bunbury said...

Hi Martha,
eine tolle Sache die ihr macht und dann auch noch im Fernsehen!So einfach schafft man es da auch nicht rein. :)
Aber ich kenn das, ich war bereits auch mal mit "Die Russen kommen" und meinen Co-Autoren im regionalen Fernsehen. Bissel stolz ist man schon :)
Liebe Grüße
Nadin

D C Bryant said...

a news channel in Jena? I never found it, that is so cool though. Any coincidence either that it takes a Smart Car to deliver a "Smart" message for life? Hmmm, those kids comments still are hitting me...hmmm, wow yah