Sunday, December 25, 2005

What's Home!?


What does "home" mean? For starters, home is always the place that I'm flying TO-- ever since I was in college in Texas, that helped me feel good about leaving somewhere (and landing somewhere else!). I have 2 homes now, you know-- Germany & Florida! (and pieces of my heart in former "homes," too).

Home is also the place where people treat you special. I'm amazed at how kind folks are, asking about how long I'm home, "how's Germany?" & showering me with love, maybe a card or gift, and most of all-- interest (not money-- interest, as in attention-- isn't that really a most valuable gift?). Last night I had the privilege of singing "Silent Night" (Stille Nacht) in both English and German at my brother's church, Crosspointe, & seeing some friends. And today Pastor Eddy honored me by asking if I'd be willing to say a greeting from up front, at my home church Tampa Baptist, and that on Christmas Day?! THANKS to all you fun and precious family and friends (on both sides of the "Big Pond") who are dear to me, and who make me feel "like a million bucks!"

For instance, with my long-time friend Lillian (above right), I can be so real-- and she's a great listener! Monica (above left) and I can just pick up where we left off, and, in a pinch, I can ask for a long-distance favor. The Swilleys have their Sunday School department sign a card for me about every 2 weeks and send them to me in Germany-- wow!


Heather, my sister-in-law, made me a thoughtful & SUPER creative album with their wedding pictures (I'd missed the wedding in April because of surgery). Bruce and Dad are encouragers-- they're wearing the new Deutsche Fussball Bund (Germany Soccer Organization) caps I gave them, in preparation for the World Cup next year!

Each year on December 25th we visit a gathering of several group homes of the Human Development Center (for mentally handicapped adults). Today one of the guys was anxious for me to play "Uno" with him, but we'd barely started the game when the call came to eat. Mom cooks extra Christmas dinner to share with them. Dad leads in "saying grace."

Here I am today with my family, which includes "Aunt Dot"-- she served 15 years in Japan with the IMB as God's servant there. She and our family have been friends for years & it wouldn't be Christmas Dinner without her-- and her famous cranberry salad! It's been a great weekend....

2 comments:

D C Bryant said...

Great post, I really enjoyed your pictures too!

Blythe Lane said...

Hey! I had no idea that you were a blogger. Enjoyed reading your posts. Your "What's Home?" post really resonated with me--I'm not sure what home is anymore with all the fam having moved at least 1500 miles away! Glad to have "seen" you at Life Impact. I'm sorry we didn't get a chance to connect! Maybe Glorieta??