Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Parade of Nations

When thousands of churches have a missions conference each year, as shown here during the Parade of Nations, it teaches us all a great concept: God is big. The world is small. And in events like this, we get to bring things even closer together. I had a great opportunity this fall to speak to several groups about our campus ministry. But a highlight was being in the church where I grew up, Tampa Baptist. These siblings couldn't have been more excited to learn about Germany! And I got to address a great group of people who met for dinner in their home one evening.

I'm sure you're wondering if I dress in this "Trachten" dress regularly (got in Austria years ago -- thanks, Mom!). NO!! The Germans in my region would think I'm weird if I did this. However, particularly in Bavaria, Germans wear this dress for special occasions (the men would be in Lederhosen pants and vest). As I grew up, it was actually traditional for our family to wear outfits from other nations, every once in awhile, which my dad brought back to us (my dad has been to 100 countries); I enjoyed making a grand entrance in an unusual outift (does that surprise you?!). Particularly these clothes came in handy for such an annual event at our church. (Mom's dress is from Ghana)

Praying friends... Ed who lived in several African nations including South Africa is here with Dad... & at our "Christmas for Christ" banquet (when our church gave over $38,000 dollars to missions!!) Ruth & Kathy from Tampa, who have been great friends for years.

I was so challenged by a marvelous couple from Lakeland, who served in East Asia for a couple of years, teaching English. They went there AFTER retirement, learning the language & sharing God's love. They even had a huge rat show up in their classroom! Drexel cannot walk very well without a cane, because of having had polio as a child. Then how do you navigate the miles of walking needed when living overseas? He logged thousands of miles in his city in Asia, going on his electric scooter/ wheelchair! :-) That takes guts! Their only regret? "That we didn't go to Asia sooner."

No comments: