Saturday, December 02, 2006

Maria at OU

Maria from our Connexxion group in Jena is spending several months in Norman, OK as an intern with the large Baptist Student Union group. It was my JOY to see her this past week, so I thought I'd include photos of some experiences we got to share together! See us at the Albertsons Grocery store last Saturday (Lebensmittel Geschäft), so we could get some food for the weekend.... wow, the city is CRAZY in love with their OU football team, so you find souvenirs everywhere.

I spent the first night in her apt. where she lives with 4 friendly roommates. Below are all of them, plus a few others (first row, left to right): Tie, Anissa, Kate, Paige, me. (top) Maria, Yasmin, and Sarah.

She has adjusted SO well and I heard compliments in a BIG way by all those who know her. She's really found her "place" in the scene there! Ich weiss, dass die Gruppe in Jena und ihre Familie in Gefell vermissen sie sehr... und ich habe versucht, ihr von uns allen eine große Umarmung aus Deutschland zu bringen! Sie hat wirklich im Glauben viel Zeit und alles geopfert und "the Big Pond" gekreuzt, um da zu lernen und zu dienen. Ich finde das toll!

The next day we went to 3 worship services at 3 churches. The first one was Journey Church, a non-denominational church which bought and moved into a former store. Her roommate attends here. They had this cafe called "Connection Cafe" -- hmmmm... almost like our group in Jena! (see lobby area)

We saw Dan and Amy H. at the BSU building, where Dan showed his cool cruiser bike which he built!

Late Monday night we met with her girls Bible study group from Couch Dormitory (Wohnheim) and the Walker Dorm together in a Dorm lounge area, where my friend Lauren C. talked about how God views missions and they also asked me some questions. (In 2005 Lauren visited her brother David, who was our intern last fall, and we spent Thanksgiving together.) A few of the leaders & some special gals who hung around are in this photo, including Andrea U. by me, whose parents are my good friends, pastoring Seabreeze Church in Calif.

With warm weather, we decided to have a Germany soccer T-shirt day! That evening, Tuesday, the senior girls (in letztem Jahr des Studiums) meet with Jen K., their mentor, for dinner. Maria and I made Bratwurst (in the pan-- good job, Maria!) and my famous pasta salad with feta cheese and served the group. Here are (front) Tygre, Meghan, Heather and me; (top) Maria, Jen and Jenny.


Every Wed. night Maria attends 2 groups at the Kelseys home for discipleship. Afterwards, there are always students who help out and vacuum, clean, etc. This week 3 gals including Maria set up and decorated their Christmas tree.

At the end of my week there (Thurs. and Fri.) the classes on campus were cancelled because a really big snow storm blew through! Before I headed to the airport, I drove by to say good-bye to Maria & got to see her snowman by her apartment- duplex. (Hope the Connexxion group also has some fun snow this weekend at their retreat!)

No comments: