Saturday, December 30, 2006

Gone to the Dogs

You know, I guess I'm fascinated by having more TV channels than i can even SETTLE on and just choose ONE show to watch. Dad's TV clicker shows over 800 channels (although many have nothing on them, or are for special paid viewing, which we don't use). I find myself doing what they actually say MEN are good at-- frequent channel surfing! Ok, so I have a new "addiction!" For the last couple of weeks, I've watched this one show, about two or more editions of it, about every day. Ahhhh! It's called "The Dog Whisperer" on the National Geographic channel.

It shows this professional named Cesar Millan in LA who goes to people's homes & helps to, in his words, "rehabilitate dogs & train people." I love the way he understands dog/ animal psychology, and also helps people work through their hang-ups at the same time. Concepts such as "dogs are not humans-- they don't hold grudges or remember the past." Hmmm. And such as "the pack leader" concept... that dogs need to understand that the owner leads the pack, & then they feel more relaxed, & don't live out the fears or defense mechanisms that lead some dogs to aggression. "Relaxed"-- Cesar calls this the "calm & submissive state." I know, some of his stuff sounds New Age to me. And I'm not sure how to apply all this to human psychology or spirituality. But it's just plain interesting!

No comments: