Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Plunge



I'm diving into a "new world" -- a new city, in a Northern state of Niedersachsen (Lower Saxony). I've written before with a few photos, and wanted to add these from my recent days there moving in. Braunschweig will be the 2007 City of Science in Germany.

Above left is the Rathaus -- town hall. Right is the steeple of the Brunswick Cathedral, built in the 1100's by Henry the Lion, with a lion statue beside it. The bronze statue is a duplicate of the statue which Henry had made to represent his power (the original is inside the Dankewarderode Castle, pictured below). He ruled a wide section including the area from the North Sea to the Alps.

When Deanna and Jeff came to help me move, they treated me to a delightful dinner at a Bavarian restaurant. Look at the portions we were served-- wow!

Ahhh-- are those MY boxes being lowered to the trucks below from my 4th floor apartment??!! Yes, the movers carried all boxes & furniture to a lift which rested on my balcony.

This gorgeous Lutheran church, the St. Pauli, is in my new neighborhood. I walked in there & the folks were really friendly, hosting a Marc Chagall art show.


This sweet family, the Niehoffs, were a big help in my move, and attend my new church. Andreas is a leader in the Inter-Varsity (SMD) group on the TU campus. Millie was my amazing host where I could overnight during my apt. search, and she's a fun, new friend!

No comments: