Monday, October 02, 2006

Queen, for a day

Not me-- I mean, not that I was "queen for a day" but that I got to SEE Queen Elizabeth II for a day (well, for one hour, between 3 and 4 p.m.) on the 1st Saturday in September. However, you might also say that Kim treated me pretty special, I must say, & it was a royal treat to see some awesome places in Scotland with my dear friend!

The royalty has been represented at the Braemar Games ("highland games" are many in the Scottish summer; this one is famous for the Queen's presence) since before Victoria's time. Here she is, having had her 80th birthday in April, & she came! Kim & I were elated, & scouted out different places separately, where we hoped to get a good sight of her, & some paparazzi photos. Thank the Lord for a great zoom on my digital camera (thanks, Bruce, for Christmas 2004!).

This year she was accompanied by her husband, the dashing Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, who was born in Greece of Danish heritage. Also present were 1) her only daughter, Princess Anne, seated to OUR left of the Duke, her father; and 2) her eldest son, Charles, the Prince of Wales and his wife, Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall. (at top above photo, he is standing to OUR right of the Queen; see this interesting official website link to the Royal Family.)

What did she see? Well, men from the RAF (Royal Air Force) and other mostly military guys pulling with all their might in a tug- of-war! It's interesting that this game, which I played VERY unprofessionally as a small kid, has a coach alongside the team! I didn't realize how seriously one can do a rope pull. The trick seems to be to pull together at once, at the same time (isn't that a great example of TEAM WORK and has a good spiritual principle in it!).

The Queen also saw runners. I felt like I was in the movie, "Chariots of Fire," the inspiring story of Eric Liddle from Scotland who won gold, though refusing to race at the Olympics when his heat was scheduled for a Sunday. Later he became a missionary.

And the bagpipes played all day. So moving! I just HAVE to overload my blog with a few shots of these stately gentlemen in all sorts of tartan kilts. I found out that "plaid" is what you wear, like the outfit, I guess, or piece of clothing. But "tartan" is that certain pattern of colors, showing your clan. Yes, I did buy something of that nature while in the country-- you just GOTTA!

No comments: