Monday, March 14, 2011

What 7 months without a microwave instilled in me

Yes, that's right. Since August I've lived without a microwave. That is, until last week (read more below). Through this simple experience, God has instilled some valuable principles in me. The following questions might accompany an exercise in living with a contented heart, as we consciously or unconsciously trust God for our "stuff."

How many creative ways can I save money, in order to invest in God's Kingdom?
I had given away my (not fancy or expensive) microwave to a friend in ministry, when I moved to Spain. And coming back to Germany, it just didn't seem on the top of my shopping list. I mean, whenever I would think of the inconvenience, I recalled those who work with our Connexxion student group & are dependent on 'partners' for their support. Paying 35 or even 100 Euro for a microwave wouldn't be much to invest. Afterall, it would save me valuable time.

But in the scheme of things, I could share exactly those funds to help someone on our team pay rent, so he/ she could be free to hang out on campus, plan a retreat for collegiates, or write new discipleship materials. I would remember when I used to raise ALL my financial support & lived on the West Coast. At times, I used the money I got from taking back recycling bottles to pay for gas. It can be a tough way to depend on others for providing your salary.

So I asked myself: "How can I give generously & even more sacrificially?" My sister- in -law's blog is also inspiring on sacrificing our dreams. By re- evaluating other purchases in the light of Eternity, I have passed by a shelf of lovely paper napkins I would like (I still buy them sometimes, but not as much as some years). At times I buy that awful, scratchy toilet paper (Germany uses this commonly) because it's cheaper than the soft kind! And no- name dish soap is not all that bad!

The next time you want to purchase a small "un-necessary luxury" (you decide what a "small luxury" is for you), ask yourself 3 things:
  1. can this wait a week (or month)?
  2. is the purchase based on wisdom & God's prompting or just on a whim?
  3. by sacrificing a few pennies or dollars here, in which ministry or person could I invest 10 Euro (or 20 or 200?), if I saved like this over the long haul? (make your shopping decisions personal-- not personal about YOU, but personal about those you want to support!)
What would my Grandma do!? Back in the good ol' days, people heated up things on the stove or in the oven. They seemed to accomplish a BIG load of things without our modern conveniences: grow a garden, mend a torn shirt by hand, sterilize the baby bottles, can their vegetables, & juggle various tasks. I already have 2 methods of cooking & heating up food in my kitchen. So why do I need a third one? It made me feel homey & like a back- to -the -earth pioneer woman to think about my Grandmothers.

How can I build in short times of reflecting on Jesus or sending up praise during the day?
I have an older CD/ cassette player in my kitchen where I can play music. Whenever I am cooking, standing by that stove instead of instant- heating a dish... waiting FOREVER for something to heat up... I try to remember to turn on good music. Even if it's just long enough for 1 song. That praise- moment lifts my spirits, encourages me spiritually, & aids me in tuning into God! It slows me down to pause & relax. Can you think of other ways to remind yourself to praise God during the day, and help this "fit" into a system or ritual in your week?

When I have a need, can I depend on God to meet it, or do I rush to "fend for myself"? Now don't get me wrong. God gives us money so we can purchase stuff, save it for a rainy day, or invest finances in His eternal plan. But many times the "purchase stuff" category comes to mind so quickly, when I could lift up the need in prayer FIRST. Or thank God for His taking care of me, for what I already have (like a stove)! And learn to be content.

In this case, after 7 months without a microwave, Birthe came to me: "Martha, you need to come by my place. Jessy asked me if I needed a microwave, because they were getting rid of theirs. I told her 'no, but I know of someone!'" God also used Birthe in the Fall as an instrument for me to have a cheap water cooker. I use it at least daily to make tea. It's not fancy, but again it's free! And seeing that blue machine is a reminder that Jesus is taking care of me, even through one of our Connexxion staff who develops HER support. And I can also learn a TON by letting others serve me! As I was about to take this photo, it hit me, "Oh wait! The coffee maker was also a great gift!" Anja's family donated it to me; her grandmother passed away last year and had hardly used it! So here you have it: my Row of God's Provision! It's your turn: what is one thing you've learned to live without the past months? How has it revolutionized your attitude & your giving?

2 comments:

Joe R said...

Martha,
My microwave caught fire 2 weeks ago. I seriously considered buying one and then haven't. I am at that some point as you. It provides conveniences, but, is there another way I can use my funds.
Thanks for sharing...

martha said...

thanks for sharing that, Joe!! Glad that there are others pondering the microwave (and other!) questions...