Saturday, July 24, 2010

Less Suitcase...ad campaign

A well-known rum producer has a great ad campaign going presently that caught my eye...

The poster reads, "Less suitcase and more backpack." Doesn't that remind you of something? Jesus said to his followers, whom we sent out in pairs, on a mission:

"He told them, 'The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field. Go! ....Do not take a purse or bag or sandals...

“When you enter a house, first say, 'Peace to this house.' If a man of peace is there, your peace will rest on him. Stay in that house, eating and drinking whatever they give you, for the worker deserves his wages. Do not move around from house to house....

“Heal the sick who are there and tell them, 'The kingdom of God is near you.'"

First, there is a harvest. Lives are at stake. And timing is crucial when you have a harvest-- you don't want to waste the season.

Second, it's big!-- "plentiful." So it's like- hey, what are we waiting for?

Next, Jesus sends me and you out with a BIG global purpose. It's not tiny or insignificant. However, there aren't enough people out there fulfilling this purpose, not enough "workers."

Either they're lazy. Or they prefer to stay put, comfortable where they are. Or they basically don’t care.

Fourth, Jesus discourages overweight ... well... scratch that. Let's be honest-- he FORBIDS "traveling heavy." You know, those tourists who take 2 humongous suitcases, that each weigh 1 pound over the airline limit, plus an overloaded laptop case AND a purse (and a coat over the arm).

That statement hit me again when reading it recently, because I'm in the middle of a move. I'm debating what I really should take along... It's convicting, really. And I'm dreading the MOUNTAIN of stuff/ furniture/ boxes that those dear movers' backs will be unloading on moving day in August. ("Really, Jesus-- JUST the sandles I have on?" I was just trying on sandles yesterday in store, with 37 degree Centigrade temps outside, but the sizes in Spain don't fit me!)

Fifth, we are to bring "peace" to people.

Check that: leave the stuff. Bring peace. That sounds simple, huh? We wish them peace and accept their hospitality. It's not easy to ASK for things or be seen as "begging" (that's what it may FEEL like, huh?). Do you have trouble accepting others' gifts to you of: money, time, a T-shirt, or an act of service? In reality, we're giving more than we're taking. Someone may support our non-profit organization financially. Others may be inviting me for "tapas" and a coffee. Time is a sacrificial gift that friends offer me. I'm receiving, yes! But I'm not indebted to them.

The big stuff of friendship, sharing who I am. And who God can be for them. That is the greatest gift I can pass on (or give back). Healing—the mind, emotions, body, soul. “God is near you!” Wow-- that is a huge statement! How can I pass on this Good News of Jesus’ death, burial and resurrection—to change lives? What kinds of BIG, faith- expressive prayers can affect radical change around me? Could I tell it better, with less distractions of "stuff"?

o How do you know when to throw away or give away, especially around moving time?

o What radical decisions have you made to minimize on “stuff,” that help you to maximize on people and God?

o Click HERE more info. about this ad campaign.

No comments: