Saturday, July 15, 2006

Vision Trip, Calif. (Pt. 3 -Seabreeze)

Here's more about our March adventures -- a true perspective- stretching trip with our Connexxion group in the USA. We were in the States, to get teaching from the Word, & fresh ideas about campus ministry & church planting. After a fun & instructive 2 weeks (in Ft. Worth, then a college conference in Glorieta, New Mexico and on to L.A. with Christian Challenge)... Our final weekend was spent with my former "home church" in Huntington Beach. Here's our group with the pastor & wife on the pier (left).

The Missions Team organized the weekend (below, right).














On Friday we were invited to participate & speak in a fellowship & inspirational evening with other international students hosted in a home.

Seabreeze Church meets in a community center- type public library. Being a part of this church when I lived in L.A. taught me much about church start-ups, ministry on the West Coast, & being relevant in a pleasure- driven, post-modern culture.

Some staff & members showed the group around the facilities and explained how they turn a library each Sunday into a worship center. During this time I greeted the church in both services & shared a bit about our ministry. Plus the students had opportunities to serve a bit (here with children) while they discovered the inner-workings of Sunday mornings.

After the worship services, the church hosted a special outdoor reception for us and a couple who serve in Ghana-- complete with our own display table and flag- colored balloons!



Here I am with new friend Lori and a long-term great friend of mine and "hero," Lisa, who has also visited me in Germany! She's getting married in the fall!

What's the stereotype of how all Germans dress?? Lukas is willing to play along! (By the way, you can click here for my 1st report about the Vision Trip, and here for the 2nd!)

Here are some "beach babes" soaking up the sun during our short couple of hours at the windy, Pacific beach -- students Lydia & Vera (with me in the middle)! I just relished seeing my awesome friend Rebecca again and staying with her family! On my last visit I stayed in their outfitted garage, so I told them I must have "moved up" when this time their son, Lance, gave me his room! (ha!)

No comments: