Friday, June 09, 2006

World Cup Craze!


Growing up in Tampa, I remember Germany soccer games being televised on a local channel on Saturday afternoons. Well, now I live here & have the chance to savor the flavor of the game-- and right now, right here in Germany is THE WORLD CUP -- it only happens every 4 years, and moves around to different countries. So get ready, people-- it's BIG!

Tonight I joined my colleagues Jeff and Deanna and their 2 darling kids for french fries & chicken fingers, and watching the FIRST game of the event-- Germany vs. Costa Rica! (Man, i gotta get a Deutschland shirt like Jeff and the kids!) While the game was in the second half, Deanna and I ventured out to mingle with the hundreds of people watching it on big screens, in several cafes and pubs on the street where they live! Then we went to an open- air courtyard near their apartment, flanked by old city towers, & watched it on a big screen along with a few thousand viewers (well, the heads in front of me blocked most of it) -- WE WON! (4:2) Let me teach you some German-- can you say: "Gooooooooolllll"? (Translation: "Goal")!!! On Wed. our Connexxion group will co- sponsor a big-screen event at our church, when a group from Tennesse comes in to have an 'exchange week' with our ministry. It's gonna be a packed week!

No comments: