Sunday, October 28, 2007

More on waiting

I wrote a couple of weeks ago on waiting-- and how I really do NOT like it. Here are other insights I've discovered in this word study I've been doing...

"Yet the Lord longs to be gracious to you;
he rises to show you compassion.
For the Lord is a God of justice.
Blessed are all who wait for him!"

(Isa. 30:18)

Another translation says that the LORD "waits" (longs) to be gracious to us. God waits. Why? He greatly desires to do good things for us. Oh, I thought if He's a God of justice, then He's ready to "judo-chop" me when I mess up ... ?! He is not "out to get us;" instead He is longing for fellowship to be restored. Is that my image of God, that He's waiting for the chance to show me compassion and mercy? He waits for us to come to Him and get rid of the sin; to stop fleeing from His plan. In verse 15 of chapter 30 it says:

"This is what the Sovereign Lord, the Holy One of Israel, says:
'In repentance and rest is your salvation,
in quietness and trust is your strength,
but you would have none of it.'"
In this context of 'waiting' this verse makes a lot of sense. God invites me to rest in His arms. To trust His strength versus my methods and busy-ness. To be quiet (not lethargic and passive, or lazy at my job, however). Just quietly trusting. I recently put this verse on my laptop as my screen saver. The words leap out at me: "but you would have none of it." AHH! Is that true? I don't WANT to be quiet and restful? Am I fretting when I could be fellowshipping? Am I stressing, when I could be stable in His love? Why am I worrying -- my mind comsumed with "all I have on my do-list today"-- instead of taking time for worshipping?
This invitation is from God. I'm accepting it, over and over again, by faith-- I want to be blessed, in the waiting. I am in awe of a God who works SO hard, for me:
"From of old no one has heard or perceived by the ear, no eye has seen a God besides thee, who works for those who wait for him." – Isa. 64:4

No comments: