Friday, January 20, 2006

Swiss Raclette

This week went like most weeks ... the major "save-the-world" events with our group -- for instance, there were 35 of us yesterday evening on campus for our monthly "extra cross" worship! Not only the big stuff makes up my usual week, but also the "everyday" yet vital conversations-- the hours on the couch (no, me SITTING on the couch -- not psychiatric treatment). Drinking coffee & talking for hours & hours with students! I love it! (... Hey, you might wanna click on: "I love coffee" under "Previous Posts" for why my blog has its coffee- oriented title).

On Sunday I ate Raklette in my dining room with Stefan, Lukas (they both lead discussion groups in our ministry), Denise, Conny D. (she hosts our Wednesday discussion group which I lead), & Burdy (left to rt.). Raclette is a Swiss tradition. You have a little electric grill plate on the table & cook raw meat on it. Underneath the hot coils are little teflon pans for each individual. One creates his own tiny pan of whatever he'd like to heat under the burner, usually melting cheese over things such as: potatoes, mushrooms, corn, tomatoes, pineapple, etc.

Raklette is full of options. Each person can bring to the dinner what he/she likes best. People liken it to fondue, because you eat slowly and share food, "preparing it," so to speak, at the table. That lends itself to savoring both the conversation and the meal. It also doesn't cost much. You don't offend anyone if you don't try something, because each person designs his own palette of broiled goodies! Raklette is sort of like our (Post-Modern) culture (by the way, I'm not commenting, I'm just observing):
  • we like options - that lends toward creativity in some cases
  • what do you like & how long do you want to stay with that preference? people don't like to be "pushed into a corner" and may shy away from commitment
  • people appreciate the fact that not everyone is cut from the same mold -- we're quite expecting of and tolerant about that
  • we value community and time to get to know others on a real basis -- savor the moment!
  • ok... if you're a college student, it's nice to find cheap ways to cut the budget
  • we want a smorgasbord of morals & philosophies (& music, etc.) - they may or may not 'sinc' with one another logically (take for instance when I mixed pineapple chunks with potatoes & mushrooms! :-)
  • we don't have to share; I can have my own space (even if it's in front of the computer- with a screen made for 1-- or listening to my MP3 player)
  • designing one's own 'palette' of religion or relationship ethics is prized highly

1 comment:

D C Bryant said...

Great thoughts! Ahhhh, raclette...brings back so many fond memories!