Tuesday, January 31, 2006

I'm Not... but I Am

Been thinking about opposites lately... my gifts and what i am NOT gifted in. Hmmm. Not only realizing that God has given me some strengths, for which I'm thankful. But He continues to give grace to do what I'm gifted in and sometimes what isn't my preference. This means I need sometimes just plain determination. So here goes (a short list, hopefully)...

1) I'm not good with paper organization (example: my desk), but I'm not bad with the details of task organization-- seeing what needs get to done before the big event.
2) I'm not that attractive, but I smile easily & am tall like a model! :-)
3) I am not Martha Stewart in decorating, but I am "Martha" (my name means "lady") and I have some fun touches in my apartment that show I have a measured feel for taste & decorating.
4) I cannot cook gourmet. But I can make snacks & muffins, pasta salad & Italian pull-apart bread (with help from students & staff) to put on a party for 30... or for 80!
5) I do not light up a room, but I have sparkle. Oh yes-- my vocal expressions are "musical" (well, that's what my DAD says!).
6) I really don't like to work out (until I get started), but I do go to the gym at least twice a week.
7) I detest shopping alone (or taking a walk, or watching a video for that matter, or about a dozen things that I normally DO do --alone)-- but I do it, because I am single & that is God's plan for me today. And being an extrovert I have learned to reach out & invite others to do things with me.
8) I don't have a family of my own, but I'm very loyal to my family in Tampa and call my folks often.
9) My mouth can get me into trouble & sometimes I truly have "sensitivity- poverty" ... but given the right conversation I can cry with you. God has done this, and it also helped to have a mentally handicapped brother, Paul.
10) I have a hard time keeping up long-distance. I'm more of a "with- you-now" type of person. And I've moved to different cities-- a LOT (go figure!). I'm very NOW oriented. But I manage to write regular updates to a larger group. And thanks to my dear friends who ARE good at keeping in touch, I write sporadic but personal emails to friends across the globe.
11) I may not be the best at small talk, but I really know how to get to the point in honesty (and being in Germany now 7 years, I'm more and more that way). And I can usually pick up when it's the right time to carve out a moment to talk about my faith.
12) I don't have the best feel for money & budgeting, but I stay out of debt & like to use low lighting with several candles in the evenings (if that isn't a great way to cut your power bill!).

No comments: