Friday, June 03, 2011

tables & learning

I get the chance some weeks to do a fair amount of teaching about God, & also blending that, I hope, with a fairly heavy dose of learning & soaking up ideas from others! (Caro & Birthe clowning around!)
Often it happens close to a TABLE ... Here are some shots of this week...I was privileged to lead an extensive Bible study time this week with students from our 2 discipleship groups, on the topic of dating & sexual purity (ideas on a blog post soon!). It was a holiday so we prepared breakfast together! Thank the Lord that I inherited a great wooden table from my grandmother that you can let out!
Here we are sharing a long table in the "Mensa" (student cafeteria) for Birthe's birthday this week.
Sitting around tables in my weekly Spanish class (usually I'm just a student but this time you see me in red at the front). I had to give a presentation this week, for a grade, about Sevilla!
Our Bible discussion groups always meet at a cafe where it's cozy around a table. This week the weather was so amazing, we sat outside at 2 tables. (from left to rt., Dodo, Janina, Niklas, Kris; and in the back, me & Lars).
From left to rt. around the top, foto below: Sören, Thorsten, Christiane, Elli, Oli, Anja, Meike and Miora. We had great conversations about the Love Chapter (1. Corinthians 13).

God said some interesting things & told stories about people around tables...
"They spoke against God, saying, Can God spread a table in the desert?" (Psalm 78:19)
God can & will provide, even when I doubt his ability to pay my rent, or put bread on my table, or give me the fellowship that I crave. Some more verses using "table"...
"While Jesus was in Bethany in the home of a man known as Simon the Leper, a woman came to him with an alabaster jar of very expensive perfume, which she poured on his head as he was reclining at the table." (Matthew 26:6-7)

"But the hand of him who is going to betray me is with mine on the table." (Luke 22:21)
"Here a dinner was given in Jesus' honour. Martha served, while Lazarus was among those reclining at the table with him." (John 12:2)Tables are places of relaxation, of being nourished. Of making new friends, and resolving conflicts. Of showing hospitality, and serving. What cool experiences have you had recently around a table? Do you have any special events that happen regularly in your schedule, around a meal time?

No comments: