Thursday, February 03, 2011

Should I wear finger nail polish?

"Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ."
These words from Paul (Galatians 1:10) are a great reminder to me of living for my Audience of One!

Some of us may feel somewhat independent, as if we don't need others to like us. I remember that while in college I would observe the other girls, figuring out whom to emulate in even tiny things, while at the same time priding myself on being able to not have to "go with the flow." It sounds like a 14- year old, but I would notice who had on finger nail polish, and who didn't-- and, vacillating, wondering which "type" of girl I was (or wanted to become).

I mean, many of us might like to say we live to please only God, or that we are not all wrapped up in getting others to like us. But just wait until someone gives you that "look" when you do something that's off their approval list. Or they start to argue with your decision. Or you begin to feel that pit in your stomach, waiting for a response to your email (it may turn out to be positive, OR it may be negative!... but you're anxious, until you hear back). Ugh! Come right down to it-- I want people to like me. The test comes, when they don't!
The Apostle Paul is not talking here about WHAT decision I make. Or if I am speaking or acting in integrity. Or the steps I'm taking to serve Jesus among my friends, at home, or in the campus ministry. He's going to even a deeper issue under my actions: the why! I still need so much character-shaping from the Lord in this.

How do you handle the pressure of wanting to be liked? How do you deal with tough leadership calls, or prepare for mentoring conversations, when you have to say something the other person is probably going to struggle to be able to receive?

No comments: