Tuesday, June 23, 2009

where is Christ?

One plaza in our downtown was filled recently around midnight-- with the arrival of a huge statue of Mary. One day you have to experience what the Church is like in Europe... this was the night before Corpus Christi day (which was my birthday). First of all the picture below is of a playground around midnight-- yes, with mothers on the side area & kids playing!! Yes, in Spain (and with the heat here) life runs much later!The photo above shows grapes & sheaves of wheat put in front of the altar. Downtown there were many altars set up for this occasion, but I'm afraid I did not see much celebrating either Christ, or his present Body, those who know him personally. But I saw the Virgin Mary, & angels, and a tiny replica of the Giralda tower of the cathedral (see below-- which used to a be huge mosque). I saw about 5 different statues/ altars in my walk around town that night.

No comments: