Tuesday, October 12, 2010

sevilla-- a world away

Unforgettable-- a whirlwind trip of 12 days in beautiful "chula" Sevilla! It almost seemed like I was back after the summer break-- but alas, just for a visit... great to catch up with friends...Elena and I walking to her suburb of Triana, across the Triana bridge... she has been super helpful getting us a classroom for English Club!
Pedro and Alex having a good discussion at our "Back to School" party... I was amazed that Alex loves poetry and philosophy, while also being good at sciences (studies environmental science).
Alina and Carlos and I on my first weekend back... about 2 a.m. or so after a party!
Lauren with Pedro and Erasto -- she met them about 18 months ago, along with their entire kung-fu team, on a plane coming to the USA from Spain.
hanging out on the balcony with Leti, Daniel and Lluvia (her name means "rain"-- this was the first time I've met someone with that name-- it's lovely!). I've known Dani since my first semester there...
Our first semester -start party, hanging out with about 18 friends including Carlos, Hendrik, Katie, Abraham & Johnny.
In language difference, culture, customs, "feeling"-- Spain is truly a world away from Germany, or America for that matter. But a true breath of fresh air...
Above: Wednesday evening in front of the Rectorado (old tobacco factory) after our Bible discussion group "Charlemos," & on our way to the international fair at the Prado de San Sebastian

A part of me feels really free in Sevilla, and resonates with the vibrant nature of loud, casual, coffee- drinking, street-cafe- life, friendly Andalusia...
Above: A Friday late-night party to kick off the new semester, in my old apartment, with the theme: "Back to School"-- so we wore white shirts, reminiscent of school uniforms. Here I am with Maggie (from Germany, on staff with Connexxion), Lauren (who just moved to Sevilla), and Inga (who helped me for 8 months starting the Connexxion group, in 2008/2009).

No comments: