Saturday, December 12, 2009

Decorating & celebrating

Normally Germans take off their shoes at the door (at least students) but Spaniards do not-- but my friends did me a favor last week. We had a marvelous time at "Charlemos" (translation = "Let's chat!" -- our student Bible discussion group) last week. Abraham, Fran and Carlos are posing near my little 4 Euro tree, that 2 guys gave me last Christmas!
Each week we have a "creative part" before we read from the Bible -- it could be a story, a poem, a game, a special ice breaker, etc. This week Jake (student from Wyoming) showed them what true trust feels like, asking for a volunteer. Andrea was the "lucky" one, as Jake showed our group fancy, country- swing dance moves, including intricate steps where you "dip" your partner almost to the floor!
We hung out afterwards -- a true sense of community-- not just talking ABOUT the Bible, but living it. Living out Jesus' love and creativity and encouragement.
We ate chili and made decorations for our Christmas party 2 days later... what talented people here! That same day I'd opened a big package which had been mailed to me, lovingly filled w/ goodies from my friends at USC Christian Challenge, a marvelous campus ministry where I used to be on staff in LA.
Notice the 3-D tannenbaum-- Lea is from Germany (a nanny) and man, do they know how to do Christmas crafts over there and in general, to use simple things to "make it yourself!" All i did was buy craft paper, and I put scissors & glue onto the coffee table-- and... there you have it! Andrea (an intern w/ Connexxion from Texas) is holding the palm & Alex (exchange student from Germany) the snowman-- both in 3-D! from gold & red corrugated paper (it was Alex's idea to have a "Christmas palm"). I guess he thought since it's almost Christmas, but we have such a different climate here, it had to be "Christmas palm."
Later on (at midnight, as it was turning her b-day) we sang "Happy Birthday" to one of our friends, Megan from Alabama, who has been doing an internship with Connexxion the past 3 months here. I gave her a nutella sandwich with a candle atop! What a night! :-)

No comments: