Friday, February 20, 2009

messy stalls

Growing up my Mom would lament the sometimes crazy and un-tidy nature of our home on Dixon Avenue. Particularly since she had 3 kids, one of whom was mentally handicapped, my precious brother Paul. She would quote this verse, Proverbs 14:4 - "Where there are no oxen, the manger is empty, but from the strength of an ox comes an abundant harvest" (for my friends in Deutschland- "Wo keine Rinder sind, da ist die Krippe leer, aber die Kraft des Ochsen bringt reichen Ertrag.").

It means, basically, that you could have a perfect magazine- photo, everything- in - place house. But it would lack the production of a home that serves as a "workshop" of sorts-- where you have activity and also creativity! This reminds me of my apartment at times, like yesterday in fact, when more important things (like sleeping in, having breakfast with a friend & intern, even MORE students coming over for dinner, and celebrating 2 birthdays during the day for lunch) necessitated not fully cleaning up after our Valentine's party (yet!). It will get done, but not quite as soon as I would prefer. 

But the "manger" of my home-- a "feeding trough" to serve up & dish out love and God's Word and true fellowship-- now THAT is most certainly not empty. And we have "working" people here (hopefully a lot more attractive, however, than bulls!). It's messy. My schedule included. I cannot get it "picture perfect" -- especially with still getting used to living in Spain and a totally different lifestyle than Germany. My agenda is not all layed out, in pastel, coordinated colors, and exquisitely balanced and "tidy." I am off balance.

But we're seeing harvest. God is challenging me. I am sensing my need for Him. 

What more could I wish for?

No comments: